Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Schedule Board

I was in need of a visual representation for my 3 year old to know what would happen during each and every day. I also wanted her to be able to feel like she was choosing some of her own activities for her to practice independence. This is what I came up with:


I put words with pictures with each activity that I could possibly think of in a word document, printed them off and cut them into strips that were the same size. The things that would be done every day I printed in blue ink and the ones that are optional I printed in red ink. The ones that are required I glued onto the posterboard before I laminated it. At first I was visualizing just doing one column down the side for each day, but then as I got the strips printed off they were too big and had to work with the whole poster. The bottom of the middle column is where I put the activities I choose for the day before M&M sees the poster at all. Then she comes and puts the activities where she wants them. If there's something that I really need to do in the morning for instance I will either put it there beforehand or try to persuade her that's what we should do. My days are pretty flexible for the most part because I don't work or anything so this works out for us. I have only implemented this for a couple of days now and we definitely have not followed it exactly. With a 4 1/2 month old anything can happen and I have to consider his needs as well as he is not on a regular schedule yet. This is mostly for a reference if I need it to keep M&M on track. If there's something she doesn't want to do, like do her hair, I tell her we can't do anything else on the schedule until that is done. This has stemmed from her not even wanting to get dressed in the morning. She would stay in her pajamas all day if I let her. It might have something to do with the fact that for 9 months while I was pregnant I didn't get dressed unless I was going somewhere that day because PJ's were just more comfortable to be in while pregnant. Oh well, we are getting back on track now.

I am thinking about doing one for myself for her to reference as well so that she's knows the things that mommy needs to get done during the day as well. If she would let me exercise in the morning that would be so wonderful.

If anyone is interested in using the strips of paper that I have used just leave a comment and let me know and I will put a link up on here.

3 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea. I will definitely be making something like this! Thanks so much for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would be interested! and i am blogging about this and some of your other great organizational ideas-
    check us out at
    thehometeacher.blogspot.com
    love your site!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin