Thursday, July 30, 2009

Picnic Table Talk-Physical Activity

This weeks topic at ABC and 123 is about physical activity. M&M has so much pent up energy that she has to do something physical everyday or else she will scream and cry to get out the energy that she needs to at the end of the day. During the spring we went outside to our backyard a lot, but now that it's soooo hot and muggy I just can't stand to be outside for very long before I'm drenched in sweat. M&M doesn't like to be out there for very long either. It really just drains you.

I think the most important part of getting children to do physical activity is doing it yourself to set an example. Now, as I say this I have to admit that I have not been very good at it. Being in some sort of pain whether it be related to pregnancy, knees or backs, I have not been able to exercise like I want to. I hurt my back on Friday and it's been hurting since then. Just today I've been in so much pain that I had to ask my mother-in-law to help take care of my kids. This is a very hard thing for me to do since I hate imposing on people.

But anyway, enough about me. I'd have to say that M&M's favorite physical activity is swimming. She thinks she is just having fun, but really she is constantly moving her body and exercising whilst she jumps in or tries to get from one side of the pool to the other. We have a trampoline with a safety net and M&M loves to jump on it. Although she hasn't recently because of the heat. I'm hoping once it cools down a bit this activity will pick up a little bit more. I remember growing up and jumping on the tramp was the way I got exercise, trying to do flips and such.

During the spring when the weather was nice M&M and I would play in our backyard. One of her favorite things to do is blow bubbles. Even though this is not a physical activity in and of itself, it can be for the one trying to pop the bubbles, especially if there is a slight breeze and one has to run all over the yard to catch them. M&M also loves to play soccer with her daddy, kicking a ball around and running after it.

Inside, one of M&M's favorite activities is dancing. Even if she's watching a show on T.V. or a movie she will dance to the songs. Her favorite movie right now is Mary Poppins and she watches this everyday, (shhh...don't tell). Everyday she will come and show me a new dance move she has learned. She's gotten to the point where she just wants me to fast forward to the parts where someone is singing and dancing. I will also turn on some music and we will just dance together whether it be slower music or fast. M&M loves to do somersaults as well and she's really good at them! I think next year I am going to put her into a dance class or gymnastics for her to be able to develop these talents that she is exibiting.

Other than that we take walks, go to the park and play on the playground, etc. Maybe when M&M is older we will set more time aside for structured active play, but for now she is constantly moving anyway so it works out!

3 comments:

  1. I REALLY need to start excercising more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I wish Anna was more interested in actual dancing - mostly she just likes to jump around to music. I am also thinking of getting a tramp for her - need to discuss it with my husband, but the big tramps are too big for our small backyard, and I am terrified that she will fall off the smaller ones. I am sorry that you hurt your back - maybe you can try to get into yoga? I did a lot of it during my pregnancy and right after, but then life got into way. I'll try to get back into it soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin